Life is Sticky. Life is Sweet.

Life is Sticky. Life is Sweet.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

I've been running 5k races for one year now.

The Pine Beach 5k was my first race last year and I ran it again this year on Sunday.

I've been saving all of my numbers. I probably have at least twenty or so. These are just the ones that were tacked to the back of the basement door in my kitchen. There are some in the glove compartment, in my nightstand, in pockets of various backpacks. I've been planning to display them on some cool clothesline across our home office-- but that's just another low-priority item on my lengthy to-do list.

Here's a shot from last year's race-- my first one. Finished with a time of 33:19.

And here's a shot from this year's race-- exactly one year later. Finished in 29:34.

Let's do the math, shall we? Four from nine, borrow from the three... there's a three minute, forty-five second differential. Not to mention the 12-inch difference in the length of my shorts. A little confidence can go a long way and a lot can happen in one year. Just think what my progress would have been if I hadn't spent December through February on my couch eating chocolate.

Speaking of one year differences, here is a pic of Will from last summer. He was excited to be husking corn for the first time and he just couldn't wait to help out. Notice how seriously he is taking the job...
And here he is, last year, having his idea of a good time-- being silly and willingly mugging for his momma behind the camera.
Fast forward to tonight, one year later. He wasn't nearly as excited, but I convinced forced him to help out.
And here he is 30 seconds later... or not.
Apparently, husking corn is "not fun". It was just me and Pikachu, who quite honestly wasn't too much help. (I mean, really, he just layed there on his face the whole time.)
Instead, Will was more excited to be practicing his hockey moves...
And here he is, this year, having his idea of a good time-- being annoying and trying to decapitate his little brother.

What a difference a year makes.

1 comment:

  1. Now, now, Cara: there's nothing wrong with sitting on your couch eating chocolate in the cold months. How are you expected to keep warm otherwise?
    As for the lack of help husking corn, I also found Pikachu useless when it came to my wedding day. Apparently, Pikachu was good enough to ride down the aisle in my flowergirl's basket (!!!!), but couldn't keep my flowergirl and ring bearer from sitting down and whining during the ceremony. Pikachu, you're fired!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here...